Five Minutes with…
Adam West – Senior Ecologist
1) What is your work background and when did you join JCA Limited?
I’ve been an ecologist for about 7 years, starting out as a freelancer just helping various companies collect survey data. I’ve worked my way up from there.
One of our arbs, Andrew, is a very old friend of mine. When a job opened up, he called me and said I should go for it. I did and the rest is history!
2) What do you enjoy most about working at JCA Ltd?
I get to be in charge! It’s part of my role to guide and shape other people as ecologists and professionals, which I consider to be a huge privilege.
3) What is your favourite type of survey to carry out & why?
Dawn bat surveys. Bats are among my favourite animals and sunrise is my favourite part of the day. You get to observe some really interesting bat behaviours at that time of day.
4) Describe yourself in three words?
Amiable, pragmatic and dedicated.
5) Which hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I love to go climbing. The combination of physical and mental challenge involved is right up my street. I’m also a season ticket holder at Huddersfield Town, but the less said about that at the moment, the better! #UTT
6) What are your dislikes?
Negative people who moan about trivialities, people who lack manners and mayonnaise.
7) Which TV show are you currently binge-watching?
Maniac on Netflix. I’m half way into the final episode and I understand about 20% of what’s going on. Hopefully it will all make sense in the end!
8) What would you say is your spirit animal and why?
The Chupacabra because of the obvious similarities!